Date:Monday June 30 2008
For the second of our pre-season question and answer sessions with Vital Sheffield Wednesday members, mick66owl remembers the glory days...
1. How did you get in to supporting Wednesday and what was your first match?
I was born into it, all my family are blue and white mad mostly my two uncles who took us every away game in the good old days in the late 70's. But my dad took me to my 1st match, he hated football but took me anyhow. Shrewsbury, we lost 1-0 - sign of things to come hey.
2. What's your favourite ever Owls match?
Really hard choice this I have narrowed it down to four - Boxing Day Massacre 1979, had to walk from High Green to Hillsborough and back, don't think I've ever recovered from that walk.
League Cup Final 1991 against the Mancs, what a great day that was.
Play-off final at Cardiff up and down sort of day but the atmosphere in and around the stadium will live with me forever.
But the winner must be it should have been 10-1 win against the Blunts in the semi at Wembley, just seeing them piglets tears was enough.
3. And your favourite ever player in the blue and white?
There's been so many, Curran, Bannister, Hirst, Sheridan, Des Walker. But one stands out a country mile god himself CHRIS WADDLE. His donkey gesture to David Burrows was probably the best game I've ever seen an individual have at Hillsborough.
4. What about your best ever Owls XI during your time supporting Wednesday?
Pressman, Nilsson, Worthington, Mark Smith, Des Walker, Di Canio, Waddle, Hornsby, Curran, Bannister, Hirst.
5. What's the best/funniest chant you've ever heard at a match?
Funniest one for me was at the Wolves game and hearing fans singing to Trevor Francis there's only 1 Jasper Carrot. My favourite song is the 'Hark now hear the Wednesday sing'.
6. If you could turn the clock back to a particular season which would it be and why?
1990/91 after relegation we kept the same squad and played great football securing promotion and the league cup victory. That season cost my mate his marriage but he still says it was worth it.
7. And what about the 2008-09 season, how do you think we'll get on?
Mid-table at best even with some investment I think its too late to expect any more if it happens that is.
8. The takeover is frustrating the life out of most of us - do you think it'll go ahead and are you excited, or worried?
I think the takeover will happen but when I just don't know.
9. If you could bring one player in the world to S6 who would it be and why, and if you could bring one Coca-Cola Championship player to S6 who would it be and why?
Cristiano Ronaldo just to remind us of the good old days. Robby Savage - don't like him as a person but he would give us some know how and resilience in midfield.
10. Other than Wednesday, do you look out for any other teams results, do you have a soft spot for any other team, and if so, why?
No, and no!
11. Give us predictions this season, how will we do in the league and cup competitions?
League - 13th
League Cup- 3rd round
FA Cup - 5th round
Date:Monday June 30 2008
Stats: Fulham v Sheffield Wednesday (Saturday December 20 2014)
Fulham v Sheffield Wednesday: Team Line-Ups (Saturday December 20 2014)
Gray Confirms He Wants Loan Extensions (Friday December 19 2014)
Gray Speaks Ahead Of Fulham (Friday December 19 2014)
Gray Not Ruling Out Striker Return (Friday December 19 2014)
Fulham v Wednesday - How Will It Go? (Friday December 19 2014)
Coke Set For New Year Return (Thursday December 18 2014)
Don't Give Madine Away (Thursday December 18 2014)
Palmer One Off Career Milestone (Wednesday December 17 2014)
Permanent Deal In The Offing For McGugan (Wednesday December 17 2014)
|6.||dooleys left leg||6|
|14. Sheff Wed||22||6||10||6||-5||28|
|Just a point for Wolves against the Gulls
» Wolves : 21/12/2014 17:02:00
|Royals boss reflects on first game
» Reading : 21/12/2014 16:56:00
|Birmingham Winners of LG Performance Award
» Birmingham : 21/12/2014 15:19:00
|Birmingham's Cotterill Delights With Winner
» Birmingham : 21/12/2014 15:08:00
|Rowett on Beating Huddersfield
» Birmingham : 21/12/2014 15:06:00