Writer: Auckland Owl
Date:Thursday July 10 2008
It's BedfordOwl up next for the Wednesdayites Q & A, as he tells us about his Owls experiences (and is obliged to mention Shefki Kuqi's legs)..
1. How did you get in to supporting Wednesday and what was your first match?
I got into supporting the Owls through my dad and grandads. Growing up in Sheffield I don't think you get a choice, you just follow your old man. My first match was against West Brom at home in the old second division (now the Championship) in 1991: we won 1-0, John Sheridan scoring the winner from the penalty spot.
2. What's your favourite ever Owls match?
My favourite ever match was against Luton Town in the early 90s. We were losing 2-1 with only a few minutes to go and we came back to win 3-2.
3. And your favourite ever player in the blue and white?
I have 2, Roland Nilsson and Nigel Pearson.
4. What about your best ever Owls XI during your time supporting Wednesday?
Pressman, Nilsson, Pearson, Walker, Worthington, Harkes, Sheridan, Palmer, Waddle, Hirst, Di Canio. The wife wants me to put Shefki Kuqi in cos he had nice legs apparently.
5. What's the best/funniest chant you've ever heard at a match?
Don't really have one although I did enjoy the European Tour song.
6. If you could turn the clock back to a particular season which would it be and why?
Probably 93, beat the piggies in the semi's, two cup finals, must have cost my dad a fortune back in the day plus the League Cup final was the last game I got to go to with my Grandad.
7. And what about the 2008-09 season, how do you think we'll get on?
I don't think we will set the league alight but hopefully we can add a couple of decent signings to the squad, stay relatively injury free and we may just sneak into the playoffs.
8. The takeover is frustrating the life out of most of us - do you think it'll go ahead and are you excited, or worried?
Every time I hear another story/rumour about the takeover i feel like a kid on Christmas Eve night. Just wish it would all end soon one way or another.
9. If you could bring one player in the world to S6 who would it be and why, and if you could bring one Coca-Cola Championship player to S6 who would it be and why?
It would have to be Fabregas, IMO he is one of the top 5 midfielders in the world and would fit nicely into our midfield. Championship player would be either Leroy Lita or Halmosi from Plymouth.
10. Other than Wednesday, do you look out for any other teams results, do you have a soft spot for any other team, and if so, why?
Luton & Dumbarton. Luton cos that's who the wife supports, and Dumbarton because my surname is Barton. I also look out for the teams who the lads at work support for the Monday morning ribbing.
11. Give us predictions this season, how will we do in the league and cup competitions?
8th in the league
2nd round league cup
5th round FA cup losing to Chelsea away.
Date:Thursday July 10 2008
Hutchinson in-line for Owls return at Ipswich (Sunday September 28 2014)
Gray hopeful over Lees injury setback (Sunday September 28 2014)
Report: Cardiff 2-1 Wednesday (Sunday September 28 2014)
Gray: Owls will bounce back from cup woe (Thursday September 25 2014)
Report: City 7-0 Wednesday (Thursday September 25 2014)
Wednesday 1-0 Reading (Sunday September 21 2014)
Bumper crowd set for Reading clash (Friday September 19 2014)
Birmingham 0-2 Wednesday (Tuesday September 16 2014)
Owls sign former Real Madrid midfielder (Monday September 1 2014)
Owls handed Manchester City cup clash (Thursday August 28 2014)
|Sheff Wed||0||-||0||Derby County|
|9. Sheff Wed||10||4||4||2||3||16|
|Boro seek home comforts
» Middlesbrough : 01/10/2014 13:03:00
|Leeds (A) Match Preview
» Reading : 01/10/2014 12:51:00
|Video: Derby v AFCB
» Bournemouth : 01/10/2014 12:51:00
|Forgotten man challenged
» Middlesbrough : 01/10/2014 12:48:00
|An Unusual Bond - Uwe Rösler
» Wigan : 01/10/2014 11:27:00