Wednesdayites Q & A - Number Eight
Vital SWFC forum member katy_kanga tells us all about two guys called Savage, and much more, in the Wednesdayites Q & A!
1. How did you get in to supporting Wednesday and what was your first match?
Wednesday were the only football team I had heard of when I arrived in England in 1990. I had been reading an interview with Def Leppard's bass player Rick Savage and he said he was a Sheffield Wednesday supporter. Being an Aussie born and bred, I knew I needed to have a football team, even if the football wasn't what I was used to as I came from Victoria, Australia. So, when I got to England and was asked who I supported, Sheffield Wednesday came to mind. Good thing I didn't fancy Def Leppard's lead singer!!
My first match was a FA cup match, and we didn't do well. It was at The Valley, and we lost 2-0 to Charlton. 1995 I think. I still have the programme!
2. What's your favourite ever Owls match?
The Play-Off final. According to my friend, I was shown on Sky waving my Ozzie Owl around before kick-off. But the official DVD cut me out!! It was a magical day!!
3. And your favourite ever player in the blue and white?
Oh, that is difficult. Very difficult. I will have to plump for Mark Bright. I had a feeling that he was going to score just before he did score for a couple of seasons!!
I do love watching all of the ex-Owls on the BBC, either doing Score or commentating. Chris Waddle was CLASS when we lost pics of the Germany semi-final!
4. What about your best ever Owls XI during your time supporting Wednesday?
My selection really shows when I started paying attention to football. The goalie was a bit tough, I have been agonising over Chris Woods.. but Kevvily is a legend and I love the guy!!
Pressman, Worthington, Nilsson (not given a fair chance at Cov in my humble opinion), Walker, Pearson, Palmer (grace personified), Hyde, Sinton, Waddle, Bright and the wonderful Hirst. And, super sub - Gordon Watson!!
5. What's the best/funniest chant you've ever heard at a match?
I`m afraid I don't have one, not having been to too many matches.
6. If you could turn the clock back to a particular season which would it be and why?
1992/1993. At that point, I had only just really started thinking that this football lark may be OK (I had been watching Aussie Rules up until then). But I didn't really cotton on until after the FA cup semi final and I really regret not being more into football before the final.
7. And what about the 2008-09 season, how do you think we'll get on?
We'll do OK I think. I don't expect us to be looking at a play-off position but I don't think we will be as low as we were last season. Though, finishing 16th wasn't as bad as I thought we were going to be.
8. The takeover is frustrating the life out of most of us - do you think it'll go ahead and are you excited, or worried?
I am fairly sure it will go ahead. I am a bit worried because my boyfriend's team were taken over last season - Coventry - and it's proof that new money/fresh ideas take time to bear fruit. So if we do get taken over, I am not expecting a bumper crop to begin with. Give the new chaps a season and then WE WILL RULE THE WORLD!!
9. If you could bring one player in the world to S6 who would it be and why, and if you could bring one Coca-Cola Championship player to S6 who would it be and why?
Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite. Need I say more. To save you Googling, Kaka. I would like to nick Michael Misfud from Coventry. He is a cracking little player!! Or Robbie Savage, he's HOT.
10. Other than Wednesday, do you look out for any other teams results, do you have a soft spot for any other team, and if so, why?
Coventry - live there & him indoors supports them. Southend United - used to live there. Actually lived in a flat overlooking Roots Hall.
11. Give us predictions this season, how will we do in the league and cup competitions?
Ewk. Upper mid-table but not quite play-offs. Cups? Gosh. I am not overly hopeful (prove me wrong, prove me wrong!!).
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.