Date:Monday June 12 2006
SUPPORTERS` HALF TIME HABITS REVEALED IN PG TIPS TEA STUDY
PG Tips has surveyed over 2,500 football supporters to find out what half time habits get them through the break - and ready for the 2nd half. Between 6-8 million viewers are likely to put the kettle on this summer when the half time whistle blows - creating massive power surges on the National Grid. From superstitions, to preferred pundit, the report reveals:
· Over a third of football fans will reach for the kettle at half time
· Women are generally dispatched to the kitchen to make the brew
· A tenth of fans have a half time superstition to bring their team luck
· Alan Hansen is the runaway pundit of choice
Of course, one of the benefits of watching football on the telly at home is getting the insight of the TV experts - but whose opinion do football fans value most? Not surprisingly, laconic Scotsman Alan Hansen comes out head and shoulders above the rest with a massive 53%. More surprisingly the next favourite - with 14% - is ex-Arsenal forward Ian Wright, whose unique excitable insights nudge him just ahead of fellow ex-striker and BBC pundit Alan Shearer.
With England supremo Sven Goran Eriksson set to be replaced after the Summer by current England coach Steve McClaren, opinion was split as to who was trusted more to deliver a stirring half time talk - Eriksson shaded it with 53% to McClaren`s 47%. Hardly a ringing endorsement for the new man though…
Football supporters have often been described by players and managers alike as 'being like a twelfth man` - and it seems that around 1 in 10 supporters agree with that, admitting that they have superstitions they believe help their team to victory. There could be some interesting antics going on from England fans across the next few weeks.
Superstitions mentioned include:
- 'I kiss the badge 17 times. One each for the starting line up, one for the manager and 5 for the subs'
- 'I never lay on my chair at home when Spurs play, I always sit up. When I lay down, Spurs concede. When I sit up, they score.'
- 'I run round the coffee table.'
- 'Eat nachos. If that doesn`t work, peanuts always do'
- 'A mate leaves his seat when the players go off and doesn`t come back until they come back on. If he`s watching at home, he leaves the room at half time!'
Why not join the Football Fans Census? Go to www.footballfanscensus.co.uk
* The national survey of 2,517 football fans was conducted by The Football Fans Census on behalf of PG Tips Tea between 19th and 22nd May 2006.
Date:Monday June 12 2006
Owls wait on Brazilian striker Brandao (Wednesday July 16 2014)
Owls linked with French midfield man (Wednesday July 16 2014)
Owls' Yorkshire derby clashes on TV (Wednesday July 16 2014)
Owls sell out for York City friendly trip (Friday July 11 2014)
Owls snap up Keiren Westwood (Tuesday July 8 2014)
Owls' 2014-15 fixture list revealed (Wednesday June 18 2014)
Owls to host Notts County in cup (Tuesday June 17 2014)
Takeover: Owls confirm deal is done (Tuesday June 10 2014)
Owls seeded for League Cup draw (Tuesday June 10 2014)
Takeover: French press say deal is done (Tuesday June 10 2014)
|21. Sheff Wed||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|New Away Kit Announced
» Norwich : 22/07/2014 10:54:00
|Restoring Faith In Humanity
» Ipswich : 22/07/2014 10:35:00
|Long-Term Deal For Defender
» Ipswich : 22/07/2014 10:34:00
|RUFC - Club Apologises To Fans
» Rotherham : 22/07/2014 10:04:00
|The Championship 2014/15 - Blackburn
» Reading : 22/07/2014 10:00:00