Le Fondre saga to run until bitter end
Wednesday's quest to sign Rotherham United striker Adam Le Fondre took another twist today with Millers boss Andy Scott insisting the Owls are wasting their time in their efforts to sign the hitman.
The Owls saw another bid for Le Fondre turned down this week after they failed to meet the Millers' asking price for their star man, who is out of contract at the end of the season.
And Scott, who is desperate to hold on to the player to aid Rotherham's promotion push from npower League Two, has had a dig at Wednesday in an interview with BBC Radio Sheffield today.
The Millers boss has said Wednesday are wasting their time making offers below their valuation for the 24-year-old.
The new twist comes after reports suggesting the former Stockport County man handed in a transfer request to the Millers less than a week before the close of the current transfer window.
His comments could simply be an effort to make the Owls up their bid before the close of the window next week and help Rotherham get more money for their star player.
But Milan Mandaric, the Wednesday chairman, has already said that he won't pay over the odds for any player. Gary Megson has also revealed that Wednesday have bids in for two 'lower league' players who are in the last year of the contract - and that the Owls will only sign one of the two.
The second player, as yet unknown, could be a back-up if a deal for Le Fondre fails. Wednesday have so far shown the most interest in his services but a number of Championship clubs are also understood to be interested.
Coventry City have been one team linked with Le Fondre, but Rotherham announced their offer as a 'joke bid' in an interview earlier in the week. Barnsley could also be in the race should Danny Haynes move away from Oakwell.
The saga continues...