Bougherra's Toffee Talks Collapse
Everton have withdrawn their offer for highly-rated Wednesday defender Madjid Bougherra after the Merseysider's failed to agree personal terms with the Algerian.
Wednesday revealed they had accepted an offer from the Premiership club on Tuesday and allowed Bougherra to begin discussions for a move to Goodison Park - but Everton withdrew their offer following discussions between their representatives and Bougherra.
The news means Premiership strugglers Charlton Athletic are the likely favourites for his signature having already tabled a £1.3m bid for the defender which was knocked back by Owls' officials.
Addicks boss Alan Pardew is likely to up his offer for Bougherra as he looks to strengthen his Charlton squad as they battle braveley to avoid relegation to the Championship this season.
But a deal between the two clubs is not likely to go through smoothly after Owls chairman Dave Allen accused Addicks officials of using underhand tactics to lure the Algerian international to the Valley earlier this week.
Allen told the Times: 'Charlton have spoken to him, as they are entitled to do, and, quite frankly, they are trying to nick him. If he goes there, he will go for £3 million-plus.
'Their chairman has spoken to Kaven Walker (the Wednesday chief executive) and he has said that football`s a dirty game and that they will scramble his brain. I`d like to remind the chairman of Charlton that what goes around comes around.'
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.