Hirsty Is The Hardest!
Wednesday may not come out on top in much these days, but former goal hero David Hirst continues to do the Owls proud as he tops the hardest recorded shots charts.
Hirsty, a cult hero at Hillsborough, currently leads the way with a whopping 114mph effort for the Owls in their 4-1 defeat against Arsenal in September 1996 - almost 20mph harder than his nearest rival, a certain David Beckham for his effort for Manchester United against Chelsea a year later.
And Hirst isn't the only Owl in the Guardian's list of top ten hardest shots. Of course there's Alan Shearer, Roberto Carlos, Matt Le Tissier, David Trezuguet and Obafemi Martins - but which other former Owl could have a powerful shot to rival the above?
None other than Ritchie Humphreys, of course, who recorded a shot of 95.9mph for Wednesday against Aston Villa in 1996 when they made their fine start to the Premiership campaign.
The Guardian 'Hardest Shots' Top 10 List:
1) David Hirst - 114mph (for Sheffield Wednesday @ Arsenal on September 16 1996)
2) David Beckham - 97.9mph (for Man Utd v Chelsea on February 22 1997)
3) David Trezeguet - 96mph (for Monaco @ Man Utd on March 19 1998)
4) Richie Humphreys - 95.9mph (for Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa on August 17 1996)
5) Matt Le Tissier - 86.8mph (for Southampton v Newcastle on January 18 1997)
6) Alan Shearer - 85.8mph (for Newcastle v Leicester on February 2 1997)
7) Roberto Carlos - 85.2mph (for Brazil v France on June 3 1997)
8) Tugay - 84.2mph (for Blackburn @ Southampton on November 3 2001)
9) Obafemi Martins - 84mph (for Newcastle @ Tottenham on January 14 2007)
10) David Beckham - 80.5mph (for Man Utd @ Derby on September 4 1996)
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.