UK time is: 07:35:45
Vital Login
Social Login

Choose your club

Other Sites

Network Navigation

Vital Partners

'If It's Football, It's Vital'

Macca's Departure: Your Views

Last week's poll on Vital Sheffield Wednesday asked you whether it was the right decision to let Steve Maclean leave the club on a free transfer to Cardiff City, and the results are in!

The Scot's departure over a week ago sparked some fans to call in to question the club's ambitions next season, but the poll brought a mixed reaction from Vital Sheffield Wednesday users with 60 per cent feeling it was wrong to let him go, while the remaining 40 per cent thought it was the right move.

The former Scunthorpe United and Glasgow Rangers striker was joint top scorer for the Owls last season alongside Deon Burton with 13 goals to his name, despite playing fewer games than the other first team strikers at the club.

But that still wasn't enough to convince Owls boss Brian Laws to keep the hitman at S6 next season, with the two parties failing to agree new terms on a new deal - and the club revealing they couldn't compete with the wages Cardiff were offering.

But despite the lack of money to keep last season's leading scorer on the books, Wednesday have still been linked with big money moves for Billy Sharp (although that chase looks to be over) and Kenwyne Jones.

And the debate over whether or not Macca should have kept his number nine shirt in S6 next season stretched over on to the Vital Sheffield Wednesday forums, where some members had differing views on the state of affairs.

SkeggyOwl said: 'Cannot say it enough times. This was a huge, no colossal mistake that is going to come back and bite us on the backside next season.'

CompostBin said: 'As far as I can see, MacLean had the best goals per game ratio at the Club this season even with taking out the penalties. And just for the record, penalties are an intergral part of football and have been for some time now, they can even win games. So, am I now allowed to say this? : 'Sheffield Wednesday have let go their best goal scorer in a deal worth sod all'

Roomey07 said: 'Whats with all the heartbreak he really wasnt that special. for one am not sad to see the back of him; hes a professional footballer at the end of the day and will follow the money.'

And some still couldn't make up their minds on whether Macca should have been kept at the club.

TheKinster said: I really can't make my mind up over Maclean. One half of me say's mistake. He held the ball up wonderfully, had a good scoring ratio, and read the game well. The other side of me say's we'll survive. He was woefully slow. Had no aerial threat, and half his goals came from the spot. Not open play.

'Still, his penalty at Cardiff will always be remembered by me, (I've never felt so bad before a PK) and I wish him all the best.'

I guess only time will tell over whether it was wrong or right, but I fancy a quid or two down the bookmakers ahead of our matches with the Bluebirds next season!




Use your social login to comment on front page articles. Login using you Facebook, Twitter, Google or LinkedIn accounts and have your say!



Click here to join in the debate on the club forum.

The Journalist

Writer: Nick Mail feedback, articles or suggestions

Date:Monday July 2 2007

Time: 9:00AM

Your Comments

As i've said on other threads and articles, i am glad he has gone and thats it!!
will it ever happen
 

Have Your Say

Log in...
with your social network     OR     with your Vital account

Recent Sheffield Wednesday Articles

Owls confirm Tom Lees signing (Friday August 1 2014)

Wednesday reveal squad numbers (Friday August 1 2014)

Gray to assess Contout at Barnsley (Thursday July 31 2014)

Owls edged out by Magpies in friendly (Wednesday July 30 2014)

Lees edges closer to Owls move (Wednesday July 30 2014)

Owls hit by Lavery injury blow (Tuesday July 29 2014)

Scunthorpe close on Llera deal (Tuesday July 29 2014)

Archived Sheffield Wednesday Articles

List All Vital Wednesday Articles
Have your say
Click here to suggest an article
Click here to suggest a poll

Vital Members League (view all)

League Results (view all)

Latest Results

League Table (view table)

Team P W D L GD Pts
18. Norwich 0 0 0 0 0 0
19. Reading 0 0 0 0 0 0
20. Rotherham 0 0 0 0 0 0
21. Sheff Wed 0 0 0 0 0 0
22. Watford 0 0 0 0 0 0
23. Wigan 0 0 0 0 0 0
24. Wolves 0 0 0 0 0 0

Breaking League News

Stephen Crainey Joins Fleetwood On One Year Deal
Wigan : 01/08/2014 22:18:00
LUFC Not looking good for Paddy Kenny
Leeds Utd : 01/08/2014 20:43:00
Winger agrees Boro deal
Middlesbrough : 01/08/2014 19:39:00
Benedicic to sign but Viviani looking elsewhere
Leeds Utd : 01/08/2014 19:00:00
LUFC Striker fit to face old club
Leeds Utd : 01/08/2014 17:18:00

Current Site Poll (view all polls)

Should the Owls give Gary Madine another chance?
Suggested By:  
Yes 81%
No 19%