Frankie Pens 3-Year Deal
Highly-rated Wednesday right-back Frank Simek has at last given Wednesday fans something to celebrate by signing a new three-year deal which will keep him at Hillsborough until 2010.
Simek has been linked with a move away from the club throughout the summer with media reports linking the American international with a move to the Premiership with Everton following his scintillating form last term in the blue and white.
And now the 22-year-old is set to help the Owls try and achieve promotion to the Premiership next season after committing his future to the Owls for a further three years.
'I'm thrilled, we've been talking for quite a while and I am happy to commit myself for another three years. I know this club is going in the right direction,' Simek told the official SWFC website.
'We've made some good signings over the summer and everyone is talking about this promotion push. It's a lot easier said than done but I am confident that if we can keep adding to the team we've got we will be right up there fighting and certainly improving on last year. If we do improve on last year we will be pushing for a play-off place.'
Simek enjoyed his best season as professional with the club last season after bedding in to the Championship the previous season after Paul Sturrock brought the American north from the Arsenal youth set-up.
And the fans favourite was rewarded for his fine form last season by being called up for the US national side for the first time in his career, after racking up 89 starts in the blue and white of Wednesday in just two seasons.
The news will ease the fears of Wednesday fans who thought the defender may be opting for a move elsewhere in the summer - now Brian Laws just needs to pin down Glenn Whelan to a new deal.
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.